fd-find is a simple, fast and friendly alternative to the classic linux find comand. Please take into consideration that this tool is a not a find replacement and it might be missing some of the features linux find has but it’s pretty close to it so it provides around 80% of the default find options and features.
- Convenient syntax: fd PATTERN instead of find -iname ‘PATTERN’.
- Colorized terminal output (similar to ls).
- It’s fast (see benchmarks below).
- Smart case: the search is case-insensitive by default. It switches to case-sensitive if the pattern contains an uppercase character.
- Ignores hidden directories and files, by default. Ignores patterns from your .gitignore, by default.
- Regular expressions.
- The command name is 50% shorter than find :-).
- Parallel command execution with a syntax similar to GNU Parallel.
For mor details please check fd-find official github repository
It can be installed on most of the linux distributions, MacOS and even Windows. You can install it using your favourite package manager (linux), brew (MacOS), Chocolately/Scoop (Windows) or using the pre-compile binaries available on fd-find project release page.
To use it is as simple as executing: fd search-keyword
Please give it a try, it’s really fast compared to the classic linux find!